Many of us have heard about someone who goes into the hospital for a common surgical procedure where something goes wrong. A study conducted by the Institute of Medicine several years ago stated that approximately 40,000 to 100,000 patients die annually because of medical error.
Medical errors include, but are not limited to:
· Diagnosis - failure to diagnose a problem or stating the wrong diagnosis
· Cognitive errors - a physician diagnosing a problem without the proper knowledge - outside their specialty
· Medication - a bad handwriting can result in the drug store filling the wrong prescription; a nurse can give a patient the wrong dosage. Medication errors can cause injury or death.
· Surgical - Leaving a sponge or instrument inside the patient; performing the wrong surgery
· The wrong patient - When a patient's record is misplaced, a patient can receive the wrong treatment.
If you believe a family member has been the victim of a hospital error, contact a San Bernardino Personal Injury attorney who is successful in hospital error or malpractice claims - and will help you understand your rights.