When an individual is involved in an accident, he or she may be so stressed out that they forget their own name - let alone get the name of the other party involved.
When you are involved in an accident, there are important factors to consider that ensure the safety of the drivers, passengers and anyone in the area:
- Move to the side if possible and turn off your engine
- Call 911 immediately - even if the accident is minor and there are no injuries involved
- Ask someone to divert traffic away from any broken glass or debris
- If someone is injured or has stopped breathing, attend to them with a first-aid kit or CPR, if
- Get information from all involved: name, address, telephone number, insurance company
- Take pictures of any damages
Remember - never leave the scene of an accident regardless of how minor it may be. According to California Vehicle Code Section 20001(a) states, "The driver of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to a person, other than himself or herself, or in the death of a person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident."
Protecting your legal rights, not to mention your health and safety, starts at the scene of the car accident. From gathering information at the scene - to watching what you say when talking to other drivers and witnesses.
Peach & Weathers, personal injury attorneys for San Bernardino and Riverside counties, understands that some people may feel overwhelmed by the trauma of being in an accident, that they forget what to do. If you were injured in an automobile accident, call our offices today for an attorney you can depend on to tirelessly fight on your behalf to uphold your rights - and get you the results you deserve.