Hot weather has arrived and that means many families head to the beach or the backyard swimming pool.
Sounds like fun, but if you're not careful, your day can turn into a nightmare. Drowning accidents in swimming pools are on the rise, especially for children. It is important to use caution at all times. It is believed that drowning is the second leading cause of accidental death, the first being car accidents.
Statistics show that 64% of victims are under 30 years old and 26% are below five years. Before you beat the heat in a pool or the ocean, keep these tips in mind:
- Never leave a child unsupervised
- Make sure there is a fence around the pool or barrier between your child and the ocean
- Keep all doors and windows leading to the pool area secure
- Even if your young child has had swimming lessons, don't consider him or her safe
- Have a phone near the pool so you never have to leave your child to answer the phone
Injuries that result from a pool accident often involve brain damage, caused by deprivation of oxygen. As a result, substantial financial loss in terms of medical expenses, lost wages and diminished quality of life arise. If the injury was caused at the expense of someone else's negligence, see help with an experienced personal injury lawyer to file a claim against those responsible.
If you or your child has been injured in a pool accident, contact the San Bernardino and Riverside counties law offices of Peach & Weathers Personal Injury & Accident Lawyers. We can help you achieve justice and provide financial security for your injured family member.