What you do at the scene of an accident is important. By doing the right things and not doing the wrong things, you canprotect your rights when making a car accident claim or filing a lawsuit.
Before acting, ask yourself how your actions might be construed by insurers, medical professionals and the legal system
The Do List:
- Your first step is to call 911 no matter how minor you feel the accident is. You need to have
the accident documented. What happens if the at-fault person at the scene later changes his or
- Having a police report will make things easy pertaining to who is at fault, who sustained injuries
and/or damages and a list of any witnesses.
- Most cell phones today have a camera on them. Make sure you take lots of pictures of your
vehicle, the road, any skid marks or debris. If you have cuts of abrasions, take pictures of
- Get the names, addresses and phone numbers of witnesses.
- See your doctor even if you feel okay. Many times an injury will show up days, weeks or
- Keep track of everything important pertaining to the accident, especially any out-of-pocket
expenses you incur, such as doctor visits, co-pays, medications, etc.
- Report your accident within a timely period to your insurance company - after talking to your
doctor and attorney.
- Tell your doctor about all injuries and symptoms. Ask questions.
- Follow-up with treatment, if necessary
- Do not admit fault to the other driver, to police or anyone else.
- Don't give any statements without your attorney present. You might say something to hurt
your case without realizing it.
- Don't sign anything, especially a settlement offer.
- Don't tell an insurance representative that you feel better.
- Don't post anything on Facebook or Twitter
Car accidents can change your life in a minute. It's an overwhelming and confusing situation that can leave you wondering how to pay the medical bills or get your life back in order.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, call the personal injury attorneys for San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. Call the law offices of Peach & Weathers because they have the experience and knowledge to handle your legal claim. Getting the answers to your questions and responses to your concerns is invaluable. They have dealt with hundreds of car accidents, they know how to handle insurance companies to help you get the compensation you deserve.
No price tag can be placed on the peace of mind that comes from knowing that you have an attorney who has your best interests in mind.
Contact Peach & Weathers for a free case evaluation about a personal injury.